"The day of the spoken lyric is past. The poem which has at last taken its place does not sing itself; it builds itself, three dimensionally, gradually, subtly, in the consciousness of the experiencer." - e. e. cummings
- The Best Poems of the English Language by Harold Bloom
- Break, Blow, Burn : Camille Paglia Reads Forty-three of the World's Best Poems - Review. Also, you can 'hear a conversation with Paglia on rescuing Western culture through its poetry.'
"My secular but semimystical view of art is that it taps primal energies, breaks down barriers, and imperiously remakes our settled way of seeing." - Camille Paglia in the introduction to Break, Blow, Burn.
- The Spoken word: I am not really into poetry slams or 'performance' poetry (interesting discussion re: Harold Bloom's claim that poetry slams are the 'death of art'). I personally prefer a quiet personal reading of poetry but this was ..uh..like...totally interesting, :)
Taylor Mali reads his poem "Totally Like Whatever." to celebrate April as National Poetry Month.
- Although I have written and read haikus for a while now, just recently got introduced to tankas. From my initial reading, I think one has to understand and appreciate haikus before one can truly enjoy tankas ...and hence it is an opportune time to understand tankas better... Also see American Tanka and Gateway to a Yahoo Groups tanka discussion forum moderated by Jane Reichhold.
- Someone compared something I wrote to poetry by Richard Brautigan, a troubled Beat-poet. Will have to check out his poetry ...
- 21 Iraqi Poets